Offices and employees are exposed to numerous fire hazards, which is why employers should do everything in their power to protect them. This starts with preventing fire and introducing high-quality fire extinguishers. However, there’s more to fire prevention than scheduling reliable fire extinguisher service even though it’s an essential aspect of it.
To be more precise, creating an office with high fire safety levels also requires you to implement an elaborate fire prevention plan, find out how to use fire extinguishers properly, and adhere to OSHA and NFPA standards for fire extinguishers. Of course, employers should also closely collaborate with authorized fire safety and prevention specialists who can assist them every step of the way.
How can fire be prevented?
One of the most effective ways to protect your employees and property against fire is to implement adequate prevention measures. Although you can never really completely eliminate the risk of fire, as these events are unexpected and often beyond your control, you can minimize the chances of such an occurrence in your workplace.
Therefore, you should consider implementing certain changes by following these important steps:
- Create a fire prevention plan. This plan will contain a list of possible sources of fire and suggested prevention measures. As an official document, it needs to follow certain OSHA regulations, which will maximize its relevance and effectiveness.
- Identify all possible fire hazards. Another important step is to identify possible fire hazards in your office, both visible and hidden. This means locating flammable materials, faulty wires, and other items that can cause a fire in your office.
- Gain control over common causes. It has been shown that some of the most common causes of fire in the workplace include cooking equipment, lighting equipment, electrical distribution, heating equipment, smoking materials, and electronic equipment. Paying attention to these high-risk causes will minimize the chance of fire in your office.
- Secure vulnerable locations. Even 22% of reported office fires start in the kitchen or some other cooking area while 12% originate in the office area itself. Making sure these zones are properly secured will also contribute to fire prevention.
- Deal with electrical issues immediately. As soon as you notice that some of your equipment is faulty, with exposed wires or overloaded circuits, make sure to call a professional straight away. If you delay dealing with this problem, it can cause significant damage to your business.
- Introduce adequate fire extinguishers. It’s important to note that there are several types of fire extinguishers, each designed for a specific type of fire. You need to inform yourself and implement top-grade fire extinguishers specifically meant for your office size.
- Train and educate your employees. Another important step in preventing office fires is to educate and train your employees, teaching them how to react and what to do in these situations. A prompt response can be crucial in case of a fire, so your team needs to know how to use fire extinguishers adequately and what high-risk habits to avoid.
- Avoid overloading the circuits. Under no circumstances should you overload the circuits in your office. Otherwise, this can cause fuses to blow or overheat, which can result in a fire breakout.
- Determine designated smoking areas. Have a separate smoking zone where there are no easily combustible materials. In addition, remind your employees to check if the smoking residue is extinguished completely.
- Service your equipment regularly. This goes for both electrical equipment and fire extinguishers. In fact, making sure that your fire extinguishers are fully operational and up to code is a legal requirement that you need to abide by.
- Consult with the experts – always. You should discuss fire prevention with specialists who have experience in the field and can provide you with valuable insight into fire prevention. They know what some common fire hazards are and what challenges an office can face, helping you overcome them.
Stellar fire extinguisher service at your disposal
Red Truck Fire & Safety is your trusted partner in ensuring your office and employees are protected from fire hazards properly. Our team of specialists can closely work with you in developing an effective fire prevention plan and help you implement adequate safety measures in your office.
In addition, we’re an authorized supplier of fire extinguishers that meet the highest industry standards and provide an exceptional level of dependability. You can schedule a consultation with us and we will carefully inspect your office. Contact us today!