One of the first steps in securing your office space and protecting it against fire is introducing the right type of fire equipment, including fire extinguishers. However, before equipping your business premises with fire extinguishers, you need to be familiar with the legal requirements applicable in your particular situation.
For instance, you need to know where you should have fire extinguishers placed or how often you should have them replaced after their installation. Of course, you can always schedule a consultation with professionals in fire extinguisher service for any fire safety-related questions for your business in San Bernardino or throughout Southern California.
How do I choose the right fire extinguisher?
As a business owner or manager, you’re required to ensure fire safety compliance in the workplace. This requires you to choose the correct type of fire extinguishers depending on the relevant regulations and building features. To do this, you should follow these essential steps:
- Consult with the pros. A safe and practical solution is to let a team of experienced technicians inspect your place of business, identify possible issues, and suggest appropriate measures. They can advise you on anything related to fire extinguishers.
- Identify office fire hazards. To be able to pick the right fire extinguishers for the office, you need to be familiar with all fire hazards present in the workplace. This will enable you to choose the right type of fire equipment.
- Research applicable regulations. Every business needs to comply with relevant OSHA fire safety guidelines and other applicable laws. Therefore, you need to inform yourself to ensure total compliance.
- Consider the type and size. Legal requirements and information on your specific type of building will determine what type and size of fire extinguishers you should use in your business.
What type of fire extinguisher should I get?
Fire extinguishers can be divided into several categories depending on the specific class of fire they are used for. While some fire extinguishers belong to a single group, others may belong to several because they can be used to put out different types of fire.
The main classes of fire extinguishers include:
- Powder: These fire extinguishers can be used to put out Class A, B, or C fires, which makes them quite versatile. They may also be referred to as ABC or Multipurpose fire extinguishers. They are red and most commonly used in general work settings.
- Water: This type of fire extinguishers contains pressurized water and is used to put out Class A fires. These extinguishers may also include some kind of detergent, creating foam upon being used.
- CO2: Used for Class B and C fires, these fire extinguishers can extinguish fires caused by flammable liquids and, thus, don’t contain water. Instead, they put out fires using CO2 by eliminating oxygen.
- Dry & wet chemical: Fire extinguishers that contain dry and wet chemicals are used in commercial kitchens to put out Class K fires.
What size of fire extinguisher do I need?
Another important factor to consider when choosing fire extinguishers for your business is their size. And when it comes to fire extinguisher sizes, you need to take the rating specified on the label into account. The ratings are:
- Class A size rating: If you notice the letter A with a number anywhere from 1 to 40, this means that the number is equal to 1¼ gallons of water.
- Class B size rating: B rating may contain a number from 1 to 640, referring to the square footage a fire extinguisher can be used for.
- Class C size rating: This isn’t actually a rating. Instead, it means that the fire extinguishers contain agents that are non-conducting and safe for electrical fires.
Therefore, depending on the aforementioned rating specifications that indicate a fire extinguisher’s capabilities, the size of your premises, employees’ capabilities, and the speed at which a fire is likely to spread, you will be able to choose appropriately sized equipment for your business.
Schedule expertise-based fire extinguisher service across Southern California
If your business is located in San Bernardino or some other region in Southern California, you should research local regulations regarding the placement, size, type, and recharging of your fire extinguishers.
Fortunately, you have Red Truck Fire & Safety to rely on. We are here to help you stay compliant by delivering reliable services. Our team consists of experienced, educated specialists who can handle an array of fire extinguisher-related matters. Our services are available across the region, so whether your company is near San Manuel Stadium or anywhere in Southern California, you can count on us!