Any type of fire protection system requires regular maintenance, testing, and inspection. When it comes to adequate servicing of fire extinguishers, you need to ensure your system is in functioning condition at all times. Upon scheduling the inspection of your fire extinguishers in San Bernardino, you also need to adhere to relevant fire extinguisher regulations.
Without proper fire extinguisher maintenance and inspection, you can be exposed to life-threatening fire hazards. Thus, it is essential that you obtain more information on fire extinguisher inspection regulations. In addition, since regular checks, testing, and servicing are a legal requirement, you need to make sure you’re compliant.
Do fire extinguishers have to be serviced every year?
Regulations on fire extinguisher servicing can vary from one state to another. Thus, it’s essential that you inform yourself at the local office of the state fire marshal about the relevant codes for your area. In California, the following OSHA fire extinguisher regulations are in place:
- Visual checks of portable fire extinguishers should be performed every month. Property owners can perform these checks on their own to see if there are any visible problems. If you suspect that your fire extinguishers have some faults, you should contact your authorized fire protection provider as soon as possible.
- Annual maintenance checks of all portable fire extinguishers are also required by law. A property owner is required to have a certificate that they have passed the inspection and provide it to relevant authorities if requested.
- Internal testing and servicing of fire extinguishers should be performed every five, six or twelve years. This also applies to dry chemical extinguishers that require hydrostatic testing every 12 years.
For any additional information on fire extinguisher servicing, you can consult with the local office of the state fire marshal or your authorized fire protection company.
Who inspects fire extinguisher?
Official fire extinguisher inspection and service are a legal requirement that should be conducted by an authorized professional who can issue legally valid certificates. However, both homeowners and commercial property owners can perform monthly visual checks of their fire extinguisher systems.
How to perform visual fire extinguisher inspection?
Here are several important guidelines you should follow to inspect your fire extinguishers visually in a proper way:
- Check if all the fire extinguishers are properly placed and located in their designated spots. They should be easily accessible to household members or employees.
- Determine if there are any obstructions that might be visually blocking the fire extinguishers or preventing residents from accessing them.
- Identify if there are any signs of possible damage to your fire extinguishers. Make sure to check the devices thoroughly for corrosion, dents, leaks, etc.
- See whether your fire extinguishers are fully charged and functional.
- Examine if the indicator of the pressure gauge is in the operating range.
- Make sure that the pull-pin seal is in good condition and that the pin isn’t missing.
- Don’t forget to log each monthly inspection onto the back tag.
What to expect during an official inspection?
As for official fire extinguisher inspection, you can expect the authorized expert to:
- Determine whether you have the right type of fire extinguishers for your property.
- Make sure there is a portable fire extinguisher located within 75 feet of travel on every floor and 30 feet of cooking appliances in commercial areas.
- Verify that your fire extinguishers aren’t visually obstructed by any object.
- Examine the pressure dial to see if it’s charged and readable.
- Verify that the pull pin, hose, and temper seal are in good condition.
- Check if there are any visible signs of modification or damage that might affect the functionality of your fire extinguishers.
Get the best fire extinguishers San Bernardino can provide
When it comes to securing your property and protecting family members or employees, it’s absolutely essential that you ensure you have fully operating fire extinguishers of the highest quality. Fortunately, you always have Red Truck Fire & Safety to rely on!
We’re the leading authorized provider of fire extinguishers across Southern California and we’re here to ensure you get everything you need to secure your premises. We can also make sure your fire extinguishers are always in excellent, compliant condition. Contact us today!